Wednesday, July 9, 2008

9 x 7 = 63 (Thursday, June 26, 2008)

“Que é 9 vezes 7? [What is 9 times 7?]” This is the question that Thais, the 14 year old maid in my house, asked me two nights ago. Of course, after I figured out what 63 was in Portuguese I answered and a huge smile appeared on her face. This I would later find out was the test to become her math tutor! So now after just two lessons I am happy to report there is another young girl in our world who can multiply and divide. I ended up making flashcards out of the pages in my notebook and tearing them up into small rectangles. She had never seen this before, so to her it was sheer genius! (Now, no one tell her that flashcards are as common as taxis on 5th avenue!)

She is such a smart girl and unfortunately the message she receives at this home is that she is “stupid.” However, now even the Mom and the son are participating in the fun! Tonight is long division and I have to admit, that this will be a tad more difficult to pull off in Portuguese. Oh and she wants to know about angles. I don’t think I could teach someone angles /geometry in English anymore – but I guess I can think about this as prep for the fun GREs!

No comments: